Mexican Family Night Menu
By Bek Davis
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
This is a Tex-Mex casserole dish that will be eaten up so fast. It is petty
simple to make. It is assembled just like a Lasagna dish. Only difference is
that we use Corn Tortillas.
- 7 inch corn tortillas
1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded
1 lb. Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pt. sour cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 packet taco seasoning
1 cup mayo.
1/4 green onions, chopped (garnish)
* 1 can Rotel, drained (garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Cook chicken, shred, and cool.
3. Mix shredded chicken, sour cream, chicken broth, taco seasoning, mayo, 3/4
of cheddar cheese, and salt & pepper in a bowl.
4. Lightly grease a 9x9 casserole dish.
5. Place 2 corn tortillas on bottom of the casserole dish.
6. Cover with chicken mixture.
7. Repeat until all tortillas are gone. Note: The final layer should be 2 tortillas.
8. Place drained Rotel and remaining cheddar cheese on top.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 45 min.
10. Remove foil and place under broiler for 3-5 mins.
11. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Tips from Chef Bek:
* Boil your chicken to prevent from overcooking.
* If Rotel is not available, use a can of Mexican Stewed Tomatoes.
Black Bean Corn Salsa Recipe
Salsa does just not have to be served with the traditional tortilla chips
anymore. This black bean corn salsa is a great addition to any meal, or dish.
Best of all, it is a fat free and low calorie accompaniment.
1 can black beans - drained and washed
1 can corn - drained
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup diced jalapenos
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 large tomatoes - diced
2 cloves garlic - chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Wash all your veggies, drain all your canned goods, and cut as described. Combine
all into a plastic or glass container.
Chill in the refrigerator at least 8 hours, or overnight, before serving.
Tip From Chef Bek:
Do not use a metal container to store the salsa. The acids in the lime juice
and tomatoes will have a reaction with the metal.
- Serve with warm tortilla chips.
- Serve as a sauce for fresh fish.
- Wrap in a warm tortilla with chicken, sliced avocado, and lettuce.
- Place inside a breakfast omelet.
- Add to a bed of mixed greens with some crushed tortilla chips.
About the Author: Bek Davis (Chef Bek) is a trained
chef and a work at home mom.
You can find more recipes, cooking tips, and mom
resources on her highly recommended websites: http://www.iFreeRecipes.com, http://www.home-garden-product.com,
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or finely chopped stew meat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small or 1/2 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small or 1/2 large red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 can Rotel - Mexican flavored diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can black beans
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 12 oz can hearty beer - I like robust local brews but you can use whatever you preferi.
- 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 square unsweetened baking chocolate
Stove Top Instructions:
Brown beef, peppers, and onion. Drain grease. Stir in remaining ingredients, reserving beans for last.
Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to VERY low. Cook 1 hour with the lid off, then cook 1 hour with the lid on over very low temperature.
Season to taste just before serving by adjusting cayenne or jalapeno to your liking.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
Brown meat and drain off fat. Combine with rest of ingredients and cook on low heat setting for 4 hours
- Top with grated cheese - I like Monterey Jack or Vermont Cheddar.
- Add a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice and 2 tbsp of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped fine.
- Serve over home made tortilla chips
- Serve over a bed of cooked rice
- Serve rolled up in a flour tortilla with or without grated Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese and rice