Set up a buffet table the night before.
In the morning, brew
a fresh pot of java, put the cd player on rotate, and get
ready to welcome your guests to the best meal of the day.
Sunrise Mimosa Recipe
Your guests will love sipping on this champagne cocktail.
It's a combination of fruity apricot nectar, a sunny splash
of orange juice and is topped off with a little bubbly.
This sparkling concoction is adaptable. Vary the cocktail
with pineapple, mango, strawberry or passion fruit juices.
1 Tablespoon apricot nectar
1 Tablespoon orange juice
1/4 cup champagne or `mock' champagne
1. Pour the apricot nectar and orange juice into a champagne
2. Slowly pour in the champagne.
3. Garnish, if desired, with an orange slice or two raspberries.
Banana Coconut Crunch Muffins Recipe
You'll go bananas for this moist muffin topped with brown sugar,
coconut and pecans.
This recipe can be made ahead, and actually
tastes just as good the third day as it did the first. But,
sadly, it will never make it to day three too yummy.
Enjoy. Serves 16
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons buttermilk
2 large bananas, mashed
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners (or grease
and flour 16 muffin cups).
- In a small bowl, sift or stir together the flour,
baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter for one
minute. Add sugar and mix for 30 seconds. Beat in
the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and bananas. Mix until
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Mix
until combined, making sure to scrape down sides of
- Spoon the batter into 16 muffin cups.
- Bake for 16 - 18 minutes, until muffins are golden
brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted
in the middle of a muffin.
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup coconut, shredded
1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 Tablespoon cream
- While muffins are cooking, prepare topping. In a
bowl, mix the brown sugar, coconut, pecans, butter
and cream together. I mix the ingredients with my
hands to make sure that the topping is an even consistency.
A mixer works just as well.
- Remove muffins. Keep oven on, and spread topping
over hot muffins. Place muffins back in the oven for
3 minutes (to cook the topping).
- Remove muffins, and with back of spoon, spread the
topping to edges (if topping is not already at edges).
- Let cool 30 minutes, giving the icing a chance to
Cheddar Cheese Strata Recipe
Shred a little cheese, break a lotta eggs, make strata tonight.
This egg-cellent dish is prepared the night before, so you
can rise, shine and dine.
1 pound ground sausage (meat version)
1 cup faux sausage (vegetarian version)
3 cups of whole milk
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 8-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
1 8-ounce package frozen asparagus spears,
sliced into 1-inch pieces
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
8 cups sourdough or italian bread,
cut into 1-inch cubes
1. Meat Version: Cook sausage, drain and set aside
1. Vegetarian Version: Cut sausage into small pieces
and set aside.
2. In large bowl, whisk together: eggs, milk, flour, butter,
mustard, salt, thyme and pepper.
3. Stir in sausage, mushrooms, asparagus, cheddar cheese,
parmesan cheese and bread.
4. Pour ingredients into an ungreased 9 x 13 pan (preferably
glass). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
5. The following morning, preheat oven to 350°. Bake
strata in middle of oven for one hour. Serves
Below are some alternative strata suggestions. Be creative,
combine ingredients that are in the fridge, or are at the
peak of the produce season.
- White cheddar, garlic and sun dried tomatoes
- Spinach, red pepper and feta cheese
- Bacon, swiss and onion
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Faith Heinauer is a chef, cookbook author, columnist,and the
creative force behind her website,
http://www.breakeggs.com Sign up for tasty bi-weekly newsletter!